Saturday, April 3, 2010

Renos

In the past, when I‘ve done renovations on other people’s houses, it always felt like I was getting to know the family through the house, like they left an imprint in the wood. And now, renovating my Mom’s house, it feels that I’m getting to know my family. This was, after all, the house my father was born in. As I rip-up all the tile and carpeting and get back to the pine, and peel through the different layers of wallpaper, I am getting back to what it would have been like when my dad was just a child and my grandparents, aunt and uncles, all lived here. My ancestry is farmers, teachers, and cheese makers. Giving the world nourishment for body and mind and adding to it a little something to savour.
I found a little patch of the spaceship wallpaper, in my old room, from when I was a kid, under a couple layers, and the stuffed crocheted mouse that ‘d I put in the wall to scare any real ones off.
That was really cool, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment