Friday, April 3, 2009

Another day in the life.

Yesterday I was out of the garage by 6:30 a.m. I returned to the coffee shop for the net. The Media Bistro( event, the night before, went well. I attended it with Miranda, who I meet in the coffee shop. She lent me some of her internet time when mine ran out. Miranda is a web designer, new to Toronto (originally from Calgary). She wanted to meet people working in media; I told her about the event, she signed up on-line, and I gave her a lift down.

At Table 17 I met some new writers and PR people. I was hoping there would be some agents attending it but alas, no. I did, however, meet some very nice people and this morning I sent some follow-up emails to the addresses on the collection of business cards in my pocket.

After the breakdown of my marriage, and actually for some time before that (I dropped over 25 lbs in the last year of it, leaving me at a rather stealth 6 feet tall and 140lbs) my confidence had been well shaken. At the event I felt it was starting to come back again, which is very important when you’re trying to make a living in a profession that is filled with constant rejection. Mind you, I turned out 2000 words a day when I wrote Chill and it took me most of the yesterday, and some of today, to do this blog entry. It’s a slow recovery.

Anyway, after researching, writing, and emailing in the coffee shop I went to Butler’s Pantry for a late lunch. Then I stopped in at the Classical Music Conservatory,, to see if Lusiana Lukman,, was about. Lusiana made me a professional writer when she optioned my film script, Lavender, a few years back. You can see the synopsis for it at The option ran out but our determination to get it made hasn’t. Her Mom is having a quadruple bypass done and I wanted to see how she was doing. Lusiana wasn’t in so, as requested, I’m sending my support in prayers and friendship.

Then I ran by Little Italy to pick up some Easter treats for my mom. Then down to the St. Lawrence Market’s Feast of Authors to offer my support to friend and fellow YA Author Matt Beam, Matt and I played catch-up and talked about writing, teaching, current and future projects, even something that we might be doing together—I’ll keep you posted. I also stopped by the St. Lawrence Centre to say hello to all my old co-workers there. What a great bunch—must drink with them soon.

Afterward I grabbed a late dinner at the St. Lawrence Market’s customer application night. My dinner consisted of free samples from all the different booths. I love free food. Anyone working in the arts in Canada depends on it. On my way out the door I ran into another old friend, Andrew Carlton, who I used to see a lot when I was with my un-wife. It was great seeing him again. We played a little catch-up, talked a little politics and then said our see-you-laters.

I was back in the car by 9:30 p.m., which got me home,in The County, by just after midnight.

I was up by 7am to come into Miss Lily’s for a County Youth Park meeting Which apparently was postponed. Note to self: check email before coming to town. Ah well, I’ve got lots of writing and research to get done and I need the High Speed to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment