Friday, April 24, 2009

Readings and such.

It’s been a great week for readings. Last Sunday, I went to the Al Purdy celebration at Books & Company in Picton, where I met aspiring poet and active blogger Janet Jarrell (http://janetjarrell.blogspot.com). Some of the others in attendance were Al Purdy’s wife, Eurithe, his son, Jim, and Steven Heighton: author of ‘The Shadow Boxer’. I also got to sample some more, award winning, County wines(Trumpour’s Mill Estate and Black Prince Winery) and cheeses(Black River Cheese Company and Fifth Town Artisan Cheese Co.). On Tuesday, I was fortunate enough to get to go to the first in Now Hear This’ reading series. The authors reading were fellow writers-in-residence: Devon Code, Desi Di Nardo, (http://www.desidinardo.com) and Julia Tausch. All the readings were amazing. I encourage everyone to check out the writers' work and go to Now Hear This’ site (http://www.nowhearthis.ca) to learn more about the writer-in-residence program. The program is beneficial to Arts & Education: students, writers and teachers. But it needs government and community support to continue, expand, and grow—hopefully into other classrooms throughout the province/country.
Wednesday, I did a reading of my own. After talking with Julia and Desi, about things that helped them connect with their students, and on my teacher’s recommendation, I shared one of my poems (Waiting) with the class. Me sharing with them seemed to make them feel more comfortable sharing with me, and each other. The class went very well.
Then back to Picton, and to Books & Company, to see Janet Jarrell, and several other poets, do an Earth Day reading from the newly published anthology: ‘Stand Up Women, Heal Mother Earth’.
Then, yesterday, I got together with Shelia Lightfoot-Pringle and gave her some tips on editing while she gave me some on photography. We braved the cold winds at Sandbanks, climbing to the tops of the dunes, and then descended into the warmth of the coffin room in the basement at Whattam Funeral Home. The photos, and the reason for them, will be revealed in a future entry.
The day ended, as all days should end, with good company, food, wine, conversation and laughter. Thank you to Shelia, Rodney and Alex, for their hospitality.
This Morning was back to town and to Miss. Lily’s Café for a County Youth Park (http://countyskatepark.com) fundraising meeting. The best investment for tomorrow, is in the youth of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment